Browse Items (161 total)

adc_134_b6f219_02-k.jpg
Frey House 2 is perched on the side of the mountain, just above the Palm Springs Art Museum. Frey stipulated in his will that the house was to be given to the Art Museum after his death. The house is occasionally open for tours, usually during Palm…

adc_134_b6f219_03-k.jpg
Frey House 2 is also a small house, perched on a steep slope above Palm Springs. The main feature on the interior of the house is a large boulder, which divides the dining area from the sleeping area. Frey used metal channels on the rock and had the…

adc_134_b6f210_02-k.jpg
In 1960, Frey sold Frey House 1 to a developer who tore the house down, subdivided the two acre lot, and built a few standard stucco houses on the newly subdivided lots. The developer subsequently went bankrupt.

adc_134_b6f210_01-k.jpg
The house was built in 1940-1941 as a very small house, only 16x20. Frey added on to the house in 1948 and 1953. The first addition consisted of an additional living/sleeping area and an indoor/outdoor wading pool surrounded by corrugated metal walls…

adc_134_portrait-k.jpg
This portrait of Albert Frey later in life was taken in Frey House 2, leaning against the large boulder, overlooking downtown Palm Springs.

adc_134_frey2_010-k.jpg
This section drawing shows the steep slope of the building site. The carport is on the lowest level, with pool directly above. The house sits farther up the slope, with the large boulder represented by the dotted line on the upper right.

adc_134_frey2_011-k.jpg
This floor plan shows the original plan for the house, with no separate bedroom, just a sleeping area adjacent to the living room. The large oval next to the dining room table is a large boulder, which is the centerpiece of the house.

adc_134_portrait_frey_house1-k.jpg
In this iconic image, Albert Frey is pictured standing alongside his car, in front of Frey House 1. The unique circular second story with porthole windows was an addition in 1953-1954.

adc_134_frey1-addition_02-k.jpg
This section drawing shows the addition of a second floor bedroom, with hanging staircase ascending from the living room. The pool is on the left, partially inside the house. The dining room, with its hanging table, is on the right.

adc_134_frey1-addition_01-k.jpg
Frey House 1 was built in 1940, as a small 16x20 rectangle, with corrugated metal walls and roof. In 1948, the living area was expanded, a second pool was installed that was partially indoors (surrounded by curving metal walls), as well as additions…

adc_175_ff402_04b-k.jpg
Despite all of the city planning and marketing of California City, the population did not increase at the rates hoped for by the investors. The marketing of California City was aimed at people in the greater Los Angeles area who wanted to escape the…

adc_175_cacity-townhouse-plan-k.jpg
In order to attract a wide variety and number of prospective home owners to this planned community, Smith and Williams designed a variety of neighborhood plans to fit different demographics. Some neighborhoods featured wide, park-like lots without…

adc_175_b46f1521_002-k.jpg
As city planners, Smith and Williams designed many different types of buildings used by various parts of the community. The Congregational Church in California City utilized the same stylistic roof and shade structure motif of the recreation building…

adc_175_b46f1521_03-k.jpg
The main recreation area at the center of town was the Central Park. It contained golf courses, swimming pools, and a large lake for boating and fishing. Smith and Williams designed this distinctive shade structure for the end of the boat ramp.

adc_175_b46f1524_001-k.jpg
California City was chosen as a building site because of its' proximity to highways, railroads, military bases, and mining. It also was purported to sit on top of an underground aquifer that would never run dry. Smith and Williams, along with…

adc_175_b46f1521_05-k.jpg
California City was designed as a master-planned community, with all of the necessities of life close by: home, work, recreation, and shopping. Smith and Williams were able to start with a blank canvas-- literally the open desert-- to create multiple…

adc_104_ff171_park_01-k.jpg
The Park Plannned Homes is a tract of 28 houses in Altadena, designed by Ain with landscape architect Garrett Eckbo. They have elements of an open concept feel, with a modular building design of 12' x 16' modular units that allowed for common…

adc_104_b2f82_marvista_01-k.jpg
Originally planned as a tract of 100 homes on 60 acres, the Mar Vista Tract built 52 homes. Ain partnered with Joseph Johnson, Alfred Day, and landscape architect Garrett Eckbo to design the housing tract. The houses were turned in different…

adc_104_ff88_dunsmuir_01-k.jpg
Dunsmuir Flats is a four unit building, all attached, with each 2-story unit containing 2 bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms. It is an example of Modern International Style, with a flat roof and horizontal bands of clerestory windows. All of the bedrooms…

adc_104_ff66_community_01-k.jpg
The unbuilt Community Homes project, slated for Reseda, Calif,, included a shopping center, school, parkland, and 16 blocks of homes. Ain partnered with Garrett Eckbo, Simon Eisner, and Reginald D. Johnson to design the housing tract. This housing…

adc_104_ff23_avenel_01-k.jpg
This group of small homes set side-by-side perpendicular to the street on a long lot, created a community feel, while walls and patios defined individual space. The houses were designed to be low cost urban housing, with the homeowners (a group of…

adc_193_b29f24_sh2_7-k.jpg
A color slide of the house under construction. The basic form of the roofline can be clearly seen in the curved wooden composite beam above the solid wall.

adc_193_b29f24_sh2_2-k.jpg
An image of the roof line curving down to the ground level. Walter White patented this design in 1955 for a curving roof.

adc_193_b29f24_sh2_9-k.jpg
A color slide of the dining room, with kitchen in the background. The original image was possibly taken by Walter White.

adc_193_b29f24_sh2_4-k.jpg
An image of the living room, with fireplace. The original slide image was possibly taken by Walter White.

adc_193_ff1_02-k.jpg
A presentation drawing on board of the proposed floor plan, featuring a round pool and landscaping.

adc_193_ff26_02-k.jpg
A drawing of the floor plan and interior utility room elevations for the Bates house. This drawing shows the original layout of the one-bedroom, two bathroom house, with minimal solid walls, and extended dining terrace.

adc_193_ff26_05-k.jpg
Drawings of each of the exterior elevations for the house, showing the contact points between the walls and the roof, as well as the materials to be used.

adc_193_b63f7_01-k.jpg
A rendering of the Bates house by Siegfried Knop of the side of the house, featuring the roof line extending down to the ground.

adc_193_b61f5_01-k.jpg
A watercolor on board rendering by Siegfried Knop of the backyard of the Bates house.

adc_193_b29f24_sh1_8-k.jpg
An exterior view of the house which highlights the curving roof against the backdrop of the nearby mountain range.

adc_186_b6_03-k.jpg
This site plan shows the pedestrian circulation patterns within this section of San Joaquin. The mixed height of the buildings, break up the massing of the structures which hold faculty apartments, lounges, and study spaces. The plan emphasizes…

adc_186_bren.jpg
The Bren School of Environmental Studies is one of the premier environmental science schools in the country, and the only graduate school of environmental management in the UC system. The building itself is also exceptional. The first dedicated…

adc_182_ff117_01-k.jpg
This is a preliminary planting plan for the area surrounding the private residence hall, Francisco Torres. This residence hall, at the corner of Storke Road and El Colegio, was built and maintained by private owners. Though it was heavily marketed…

adc_186_d58ff32_01-k.jpg
The on-campus home for the Chancellor and his/her family, the University House is located at the edge of the lagoon, close to the original residence halls. With an enclosed courtyard, wide roof overhangs, and a patio with a view of the lagoon, the…

adc_186_b4f7_05-k.jpg
This photograph of a model of Broida Hall shows a view from the south, with Webb Hall and the Woodhouse Laboratory in the foreground. In addition to classroom and office space, Broida also has two lecture halls. As one of the later works of Charles…

adc_186_b4f7_04-k.jpg
This photograph shows a model of South Hall, with Girvetz Hall in the foreground. Marsh, Smith & Powell designed Girvetz in 1955, shortly before Marshs' death. The firm changed its name to Powell, Morgridge, Richards, & Coughlin in the early 1960's…

adc_186_b4f7_02-k.jpg
This is a photograph of a model of the Biological Sciences II building, looking at the north-west corner of the building, with Parking Lot #1 on the left side of the image. The building houses numerous laboratories, offices, and other research…

adc_186_b6_01-k.jpg
This computer generated drawing of the connecting Paseo shows the options for different floor and wall finishes for the two story space. As one of the busiest areas on campus, with over one million people entering and exiting each year, the new lobby…

adc_186_b6_04-k.jpg
The 2016 renovation and addition to the 1968 Faculty Club was completed by Moore & Turnbull's successor firm, Moore Ruble Yudell. The addition included adding a wing of 30 guest rooms and updating the dining room and meeting room interiors.

adc_186_b4f7_01-k.jpg
A photograph of a model of San Rafael Hall. The placement of San Rafael Hall on the western edge of the campus, adjacent to Isla Vista, shows the expansion of the on-campus housing beyond the original residence hall cluster. The Carrillo Dining…

adc_186_d57_ff29_01-k.jpg
This blueprint is an early floor plan for the first floor of the building. The unique shape of the eastern wing makes this building immediately recognizable, and the varied heights of the different components of the building give a visual reference…

adc_186_d58_ff38_01-k.jpg
This is an early floor plan of the original building for Kohn Hall, designed by Michael Graves.

The Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics is a world-renown research facility where physicists meet to collaborate on cutting edge research and…

adc_186_d60_ff59_01-k.jpg
This is an early pen on heavy paper drawing of scheme for the Faculty Club. The roofline, massing, and collonades are all very different from the building that was eventually built.

adc_143_b8_01-k.jpg
This master plan of the Leadbetter Mesa campus, assumed to be drawn by Soule & Murphy, shows a large number of buildings built on the mesa and surrounding areas. The Arts buildings were clustered towards the Cliff Drive side of campus, while the…

adc_148_ff596_02-k.jpg
Two years after Killingsworth completed the Student Health Center, his firm began work on a 300 unit apartment complex for married students near the corner of Los Carneros Road and Mesa Road, just north and west of the main campus. The red tile…

adc_148_ff490_02-k.jpg
This image shows the east elevation (facing El Colegio Road) and the west elevation (facing the bike path). Both entrances have changed significantly,

adc_148_ff490_03-k.jpg
This is an early design of the interior floor plan for the Student Health Center. The building appears to have been designed as having facilities for 24/7 care, with individual rooms. Multiple versions of this floor plan exist as the needs of the…

adc_186_graves_06-k.jpg
This rendering of the east elevation of the Kavli Institute of Theoretical Physics shows the sloping tile roof, vine covered trellises, and stucco exterior mimics the Spanish Revival nature of Santa Barbara architecture.

adc_186_d56_ff4_01-k.jpg
The plot plan for the first floor of the Materials Research Lab building shows the intricacies of fitting new buildings into the campus. The original Engineering building is immediately to the south, with an access road, pedestrian and bike paths…

adc_186_d56_ff5_01-k.jpg
The Education and Social Sciences buildings house the Gevirtz School of Graduate Education, offices for the College of Letters and Sciences, the Center for Film, Television, and New Media, and the Pollock Theater. This image is a design sketch of the…

adc_186_d59_ff48_01-k.jpg
This architectural drawing of the west and south exterior elevations of Storke Tower and parts of the lower plaza. Partially funded by Santa Barbara News Press founder Thomas M. Storke, this is the tallest structure on campus, at 175 feet tall, and…

charlesmoore_1404.jpg
A birds eye rendering of the Faculty Club, with the Theater and Dance building in the background. The front of the building slopes downwards towards the edge of the lagoon. MLTW/Moore Turnbull Architects were the executive architects, and Charles…

adc_186_d56_ff2_03-k.jpg
This birds eye view of campus shows the build-out of the land in 1990. Many of the original WWII buildings still remain, and the vehicle flow around the perimeter of campus is greatly reduced from the earlier plans. The large expanse of surface…

adc_186_soule_ucsb_001-k.jpg
A rendering of the landscape plan for the campus. This plan orients south at the top of the plan, with the lagoon and ocean at the top and left of the image. Three quadrangles (south, east, and northwest) are shown originating from a central point.…

adc_125_b1f36_01-k.jpg
A photographic print of a birds eye view rendering of a version of the campus plan. The foreground shows the general outline of the residence halls, with the academic and administrative units towards the top of the image. Development on the lagoon…

adc_130_b7_02-k.jpg
This image is a photograph of a rendering of the Industrial Education Unit for the Leadbetter Mesa campus, designed by Alfred Eichler. It was the first building built on the site for the Santa Barbara State College expansion, and was used from the…

adc_130_b7_07-k.jpg
A photograph of the entrance to Ebbets Hall on the northeast corner, facing Alvarado Place. The building was named after Miss Charlotte Ebbets, who was the department head of the Home Economics Department at the college. Ebbets Hall contained…

adc_130_b7_05-k.jpg
A photograph of the southeast side of the building.

adc_130_b7_04-k.jpg
A photograph of an arched entrance to the loggia at the western end of Ebbets hall. The photograph was taken soon after construction; un-graded dirt and construction debris can be seen at the base of the stairs.

adc_130_b7_01-kcrop.jpg
A photograph of a drawing by Alfred Eichler of the Administration Building for the Santa Barbara State Teachers College, formerly the State Normal School. The rendering shows the proposed administration building which housed offices, classrooms, a…

adc_186_d56_ff2_02-k.jpg
The long range plan from 1975 shows a much greater concern for the adjacent community of Isla Vista. A larger concentration of university buildings is shown in the 'loop' area, as well as trees and pedestrian-friendly boulevards. Unlike the 1963…

adc_186_d56_ff2_01-k.jpg
This long range plan was produced by executive architect Charles Luckman Associates. It shows a very concentrated build-up of academic buildings and residence halls, as well as expansion along El Collegio Road. The extension of Highway 217 along the…

adc_177_b1_01-k.jpg
A watercolor rendering of the second building to be built on the Goleta campus. The Science Building was designed by Santa Barbara architects Windsor Soule and John Murphy, who were the supervising architects for the new campus until 1953. The 1.2…

adc_125_ucsbarts-j.jpg
A watercolor rendering of the Arts Building, from an aerial birds-eye perspective. This shows the Spanish Colonial Revival influence on the design, with a focus on the red tile roof, courtyards, and patio spaces. Additionally, wind screens made of…

adc_186_b4f2_09-k.jpg
A view looking east towards the ocean, with the Marine base water tower off to the left. This site is currently the Materials Research Lab building.

adc_186_b4f2_08-k.jpg
A view looking west from near the current site of the East Entrance to the campus. This area looks fairly similar today, despite plans in the past to turn the coastal wetland into a recreational lake with a harbor, and other plans to infill the area…

adc_186_b4f2_07-k.jpg
A photograph of building 434, the Associated Students Annex, directly across the Pardall bike path from Storke Tower. This building was the recreation building during the time of the Marine Base, it was later converted into a Student Union in the…

adc_186_b4f2_06-k.jpg
A view of the campus pool as it appeared before the Marine base was given to the University of California. The pool was used by the Marines to practice water landings and emergency parachute procedures; the jumping platform in the center of the…

adc_186_b4f2_05-k.jpg
A photograph of the campus as it appeared after the Marines left, but before much construction had taken place. The Marine water tower is seen in the distance, and a car is parked on the road.

adc_186_b4f2_04-k.jpg
A photograph of the former Marine Base, looking southeast towards the ocean. The building in the foreground is possibly Building 431, which was torn down and eventually the 1977 addition to the library was built on this spot. Building 431 was a mess…

adc_186_b4f3_20-k.jpg
An aerial view of the campus looking west towards Isla Vista. Campbell hall is in the center, with North Hall and Robertson Gymnasium in the distance. Cheadle Hall is under construction due west of Campbell Hall. Some of the WWII era buildings seen…

adc_186_b4f3_19-k.jpg
A view of Campbell Hall, looking towards the northwest, from the library. The photograph highlights the landscaping and outdoor patio space for studying. This view no longer exists, due to the building of Ellison Hall and the expansion of the…

adc_186_b4f2_18-k.jpg
A photograph of the Marine base gymnasium building, with attached pool. This photograph also shows the lack of proper landscaping and grounds maintenance which plagued the early campus planners. Lack of topsoil (which the Marines had scraped off to…

adc_186_b4f2_17-k.jpg
A photograph of de-commissioned buildings on the former Marine base, possibly former officers' quarters.. Some of this type of building are still being used today for office space, including housing the ROTC and Military Science department. During…

adc_186_b4f2_16-k.jpg
An aerial view of the campus from the early 1950s, the Carjola-designed library is in the center of the image. Numerous World War II era buildings are seen in the lower right corner of the photograph. This photograph also highlights the lack of…

adc_186_b4f2_15-k.jpg
An aerial view of the campus looking towards the northwest, with the foot hills in the distance at the top of the photograph. The residence halls Anacapa and Santa Cruz appear to be under construction in the front of the photograph, as well as the…

adc_186_b4f2_14-k.jpg
An aerial view of the campus from the early 1950s, looking towards the ocean in a southwesterly direction. The first two University buildings constructed are seen in the middle-lower-right (the Carjola-designed library) and immediately to the left of…

adc_186_d59_02-k.jpg
A rendering of the view from the southeast, towards the northwest, with the lagoon off to the far left side. Designed by Charles Luckman, the building utilizes some of the design motifs of the earlier campus buildings, and combines some of the later…

adc_186_d59_01-k.jpg
A rendering of the south side of the building, from the current location of the Bren School, looking north. This building housed the newly formed College of Engineering, which included electrical, mechanical, chemical, and computer engineering…

adc_186_d58_03-k.jpg
A rendering of the Chemistry Building, taken from the southern edge of the East Lawn, looking north. This building echoes some of the extended architectural vocabulary of the late campus standard, with patterned concrete block, dentil mouldings under…

adc_186_d58_02-k.jpg
A rendering of the original University Center design. The UCen is situated with a view over the lagoon and towards the ocean, south of, and between the Music Building and the Arts Building. The UCen has had multiple additions and alterations, though…

adc_186_d58_01-k.jpg
Almost immediately after the first library building was built in 1952, plans for an addition were being drawn up. And within a year of completing Library II, planning began in 1962 for Library III, which was completed in 1967. The growth of the…

adc_186_d57_01-k.jpg
A rendering of the music building addition, on the south side of the original building. This addition includes the former Arts Library and the Lottie Lehman Concert Hall. The design blends the addition seamlessly with the original building: patterned…

adc_186_b4_13-k.jpg
A birds-eye view of the Dining Commons patio overlooking the lagoon. The first permanent dining hall replaced the use of the Marine Air Base mess hall. The original capacity was 800 students per meal, but was later increased to 1200 students per…

adc_186_b4_12-k.jpg
A rendering of the exterior of the dining commons. The addition of a second dining commons helped to alleviate overcrowding at the Ortega dining facilities. An addition in 1963 gave the staff dining space, as well as additional kitchen space. In…

adc_186_b4_11-k.jpg
A view of the two eight-story tower residence hall complex. The hall was designed to hold 400 male students in double occupancy rooms, but is now co-ed and a mixture of double and triple occupancy rooms. The single level building connects the two…

adc_186_b4_10-k.jpg
A rendering of the Psychology Building, looking towards the southeast, from the area at the south end of the Library. This was the first permanent home for the Psychology Department, and was designed as a research facility. The building was also a…

adc_186_b4_09-k.jpg
A rendering of what is now Girvetz Hall, before the addition of South Hall to it's western side. The building was also known as South Hall, after North Hall was built in 1962. It was the first permanent home for the Social Science and Foreign…

adc_186_b4_08-k.jpg
A rendering of the building looking south through the plaza towards the lagoon. The building contained a 380 seat theater, speech therapy facilities, and regular classroom and office space. It was originally designed for the emerging fields of…

adc_186_b4_07-k.jpg
A rendering of the exterior of the dining hall highlights the patterned concrete block, the hipped roof, screen walls (to protect the students from the ocean wind), and dentil mouldings along the bottom of the concrete overhang. These pieces of the…

adc_186_b4_06-k.jpg
The beach-side location allows for sea water to be pumped into the building for aquatic experiments, some of which is also distributed to other buildings on campus. Prior to construction of the building, it was noted in the specifications the…

adc_186_b4_05-k.jpg
A rendering of an aerial view of the Physical Education building. The gym was named after State Senator Alfred W. Robertson, who was instrumental in bringing the UC to Santa Barbara. Originally home to the basketball team, the arena was also a…

adc_186_b4_04-k.jpg
A rendering of a two story residence hall, with a one story connecting corridor in the distance. This is the second permanent residence hall built and housed up to 400 male students. It now holds over 600 co-ed students in four L-shaped 2-story…

adc_186_b4_03-k.jpg
The original library building, built in 1952, was part of the original Soule and Murphy master plan for the UCSB campus. It was designed by Chester Carjola, a leading Santa Barbara architect who worked closely with Soule and Murphy on the campus…

adc_186_b4_02-k.jpg
A rendering of a design for Married Student Housing (now named West Campus Family Student Housing), at the corner of El Colegio Road and Storke Road. The 250 one- and two- bedroom apartments are grouped into 38 buildings, which are clustered around…

adc_186_b4_01-k.jpg
A rendering of Campbell Hall, looking northeast towards the main entrance. East Hall (now Phelps Hall) is off to the right and behind. Campbell Hall was named in honor of John and Ina Therese Campbell, founders of the Santa Barbara Campus…

adc_186_b4f2_003-k.jpg
A view of a roadway, with eucalyptus trees lining either side. Two men are standing next to a car, looking at plans for the university.

adc_186_b4f2_002-k.jpg
An aerial view of the Goleta mesa campus site, with Campus Point in the foreground and the Santa Barbara Airport in the distance. World War II era buildings can be seen both inside and outside of the line of eucalyptus trees used as a windbreak. This…

adc_186_b4f2_001-k.jpg
A view of the World War II barracks, as they existed when the University developed the Goleta mesa site. Barracks like these were turned into classrooms, laboratories, and offices. This photograph appears to have been taken in the current area of…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2